RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Planes CMP P28 Piper Arrow ARF
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Planes CMP P28 Piper Arrow ARF

BTW: Go back a few of my posts and you'll see that I had to adjust the wing incidence.

The plane was difficult to control because of the climb, on my first flight. I recommend you do the same thing.

Dropping the flaps will balloon the plane up even more, but after the incidence change, I mixed in about 6 point drop in the elevator ( nose down - this is like a click or two of elevator down trim ) whenever the flaps are actuated.

Now I can drop the flaps half way on approach and the plane remains level, I then drop the gear and land.

Only once the plane is on the ground I drop the flaps all the way to slow it down.

I recommend you keep the flaps up on the first landings as you get the gear right... my gear didn't lock in the first time and they collapsed in, scratching up the TE of the flaps ( later fixed ). After adjusting the rod settings the gear now lock in each time.

On to the servos....

You need TWO standard retract servos.

Retract servos rotate 180 degrees. They are non-proportional.
They are also low profile and will fit the provided areas perfectly.

The first time I tried to set up the retract servos I made the mistake of trying to use a standard servo instead...

A full size standard servo would not fit, a Mini servo required extensive modifications and did not work well.

When I changed to a standard retract servo everything came together perfectly.

You are forced to adjust the position of the quick connects on the servo arms to get the right amount of travel, and you use the quick connects to set the pushrod location. The latter is easy to do, as you can manually move the gear into the up or down state, and then lock down the grub screw.

The pushrod fits through the provided wheel well holes just fine.

Do harden the gear mount area as I indicated, and beef it up a bit if possible using tri-stock and some extra ply.

I gave the gear hold down screws extra "bite" area by installing a doubler behind/under the existing mounting wood.

I get a lot of comments about how well this plane flies and how good/scale it looks flying and landing.