RCU Forums - View Single Post - AT-6 Does Cartwheel - Damage is Light
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 02:47 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AT-6 Does Cartwheel - Damage is Light

Not a lot but some progress in the repair. It has been my experience that if a little can be made at a time, the project does keep going and gets done, compared to what is sometimes seen where a project lies dormant for many years. I've had that happen, probably most of us have.

As can be seen in the pics, the broken rib and spar have been repaired. Now the sheeting is on the upper side of the wing section and underneath the books drying is the fitted sheeting section for the underside.

I haven't got into the wing tips yet as I was waiting to finish the center section and get it mounted back to the plane so that the plane can return to its hanger in the garage. It hangs from the ceiling on the wing tube and I need it out of the cradle and back in storage as my work space is limited with the cradle on one of my benches.

In the middle of this, the tail wheel broke off (music wire snapped when the wheel hit a rock) on the Ultra Stick Lite and bench space was needed for that. The repair was finished in a couple of hours and made much easier because the last time it happened, a single hinge wire was installed making it very easy to pull the rudder. A friend at the field suggested a heavier piece of music wire, but I'm happy the 3/32 wire has failed twice now instead of ripping out some structure. The stick has a lot of hours on it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26434.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1699966