RCU Forums - View Single Post - American Aircrat Modeler Plans
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 PM
heggen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: American Aircrat Modeler Plans

The picture on the magazine caught my eye and I realized that I have one of those in my basement. I bought it from a friend 30+ years ago. The project of getting it in to the air got slowed to a halt because I had no way to launch it and had other projects that were of greater interest.
Now with electric power and folding props, it looks promising to get the project going again soemetime in the near future.
The wingspan on mine is not 16 feet; it is 14+ feet. I have eliminated the polyhedral and made the wing to have dihedral reduced appropriately for aileron control. The nose has been changed to appear more scale-like rather than the short pointy nose on the original. Imbedded in the nose was a hunk of lead that must have weighed a pound or two. The longer nose will help balance with less weight. All up weight as I recall was around 7 pounds.
I will be watching to see who else has one of these biggies in the works or in the air and will see if I can get a picture posted of what I have at the time.