RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mini F-16 vintage project consideration
Old 12-27-2011, 01:17 PM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Mini F-16 vintage project consideration

Hi Greg,
I scored the plans and manual with plenty of pictures for the RK-049. So if they are that similar it should be a peice of cake. I found someone who has several fans of the 049 and 709 variety. I'm hoping I can get him to part with them soon then I can start thinking about how I am going to lay it out.

Looking at modern nitro motors I see the airplane engines do not rev much over 18K and I'm thinking that's all I'd get out of a Tee Dee anyway. I see that depending on use (nitro buggy engines) will operate up to 30K and if you really want to foot the bill at 2X the cost you can get up to 40K.

So I haven't decided yet, but this project is looking marginal at best using a Cox motor. More attractive using a modern .12, but I'm scared the fan might not hold up well. I have no data but I have to assume that the DF manufacturers in the 80's designed the impellers to be effective for RPM's at the time. I think bumping those fans up to a modern nitro might yeild better results then if I took a modern EDF fan and bumped it down to the nitro motor. Just have to hope that it won't grenade on me.

Still thinking...
Rick