RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: a65l

Quite allright. ''Dinah with the fine Linah'' was one of the menonics for the airplane used by allied fliers, I kind of thought that the clue about the lines would give it away. One of a few aircraft that can claim to have served throughout the entire war.
You're up Ernie...
Thank you, Sir. A good question about a very fast plane. Since I will be out until late this evening, why don't we start with a few extra clues? Thanks; Ernie P.

This is the story of a new twist on an old type of aircraft. It was ultimately deemed unnecessary; but early on it looked like a good way to solve a problem that might have been very difficult. In the end, other ways were found to solve the problem. But, in the beginning, who knew how things would work out?

Question:

Clues:

(1) It never entered true production, but a number of production aircraft were ordered even before the prototype had flown.

(2) It was intended to be a means of solving a problem encountered early in the jet age.

(3) In the end, it was not needed. Other means were discovered to solve the problem.

(4) But it was the fastest of its type ever built.