RCU Forums - View Single Post - .074 MARAUDER !!!
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .074 MARAUDER !!!

Crosscheck, I learned how to fly C/L with a plastic RTF .049 plane that could only fly on 15 feet of string. It was mainly just a "Rock on a String".
It got real boring, real fast.
I was back at the hobby store the next day and got a Carl Goldberg Lil Wizard .049 balsa trainer kit and that was my first "Real" model airplane. I flew it on those dacron strings that Goldberg used to sell...I think I flew it on 26 foot long lines. It was set up for mostly just level laps. I knew nothing about "CGs", so it was probably way too nose heavy to do a inside loop....but I remember doing some big, "Wingovers" with it.

For the best control feel, you want the spacing of the strings at the handle to be about the same as the spacing at the bellcrank. I flew for years without paying much attention to this.

My first aerobatic C/Ler was the Goldberg .049 Swordsman..still just all solid sheet balsa, but with lots of wing area.

The best trainer nowadays might be a coroplast flying wing for .049 power. I think the "Balsa Beavers" website has free plans for it. It could be built very quickly with what materials you have laying around. A plastic joiner biscuit can work for a bellcrank. I would recommend Spiderline braided string for flying lines and thread a continuous loop of string through holes that you drill through a chunk of old broom handle for your flying handle. I space the holes in the handle so that the strings will exit on either side of my middle 2 fingers.
Set the neutral elevator by holding the handle in a comfortable position and slide the string through the holes in the handle until the elevator is set for "zero", then tape the string tightly to the handle with electrical tape so it can't move. This arrangement is just fine for low power 1/2A..but you wouldn't want to rely on tape to maintain your zero adjustment with a harder pulling plane.
Pick low pitch props for slow lap speeds. A 6x2 prop is great for training. Be as smooth as you possibly can in the beginning, keep all your control movements gentle as you feel the plane out.
Climb and dive the model, always be aware that if you climb against the wind and the model isn't pulling hard enough you might always need to take a quick step back to maintain line tension. Think of yourself as an outfielder always ready to back pedal to keep the lines tight. .049s don't exert a ton of pull, especially traveling up wind.
Do all your launches down wind, to keep the lines tight.

I don't know who belongs to the plane in this picture, but it looks like a great design for a combat trainer once you have learned the basics on a coroplast or solid balsa sheet trainer.
Most of the time you would see a TD used on a plane like this, but this is a good looking design if you have a hot reed valve engine like a Black Widow or Killer Bee.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88629.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1711916