RCU Forums - View Single Post - going snow skiing
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: going snow skiing

ORIGINAL: jeffEE

Never try this on snow. The axle wing digs into the snow and flips it over ever time. Take off was OK, but landing was not cool.
Hello jeffEE,

When a ski has a front "bend up"sufficient to make it try to climb up on the snow, there is normally not enough snow pass the axle to offer any resistacne to make the airplane nose over.

I suspect anoher reason as follow.

Supposing that you are referrring to the model seen in the picture; a tri-wing has a high level CG location. High level in the sense of height above ground.

Recently there was some discussion about the weight on the tail wheel of a tail-dragger. I suggested 10% to 15% of the total weight of the model. The higher the CG is aboveground the higher should the tail weight be.

In your case, if referring to that tri-wing, you need a good 15% and possibly more.

I suggest you look at this aspect of the situation.
A good idea is to also observe the skis behavior while taxiing at moderate speeds including what you think is near stalling speed of the model. On snow we have to touch down at as low a speed as we can such as at full stall or nearly so with full up elevators.

Good luck with your observations and setup.

Zor