RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mod'd Hostetler 1/4 GeeBee R2
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:02 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Mod'd Hostetler 1/4 GeeBee R2

While still waiting for that wood order, I ended up finding enough scrap pieces around to nearly finish the entire short-kit. The only items left to cut, are the last fuselage bulkhead, which will be laminated with 2 layers of 1/64 birch ply with a 1/8" balsa core, a few ply wing-ribs, the Landing Gear mount plates and the G-10 rudder hinges...

So, 90% complete "kit"

Then I started to do some real work.. The stab cores are cut from 1/8" balsa sheet, and the wing ribs are cut from 1/8" balsa. Their is then a 1/8" thick section of balsa removed along the chord line of the ribs. the rear spar is 1/4" balsa glued on-top of the stab core, then the ribs and 1/8"x1/4" leading edge are glued to the core. I've got to put a portion of 1/8 balsa around the curve of the tips, put in the hinge blocks and then cover the ribs with some tape, then sand it all to shape. It will then be sheeted with 3/32" balsa, then flipped over and the process repeated.
The elevators are built using the same method, but using a 3/8" wide leading edge..