RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mod'd Hostetler 1/4 GeeBee R2
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 06:18 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Mod'd Hostetler 1/4 GeeBee R2

Finished up the Horizontal stab this evening.. Over-all weight for the stab is 2.7oz not bad.. a little heavier than wanted, but not by much. Here's a photo with the stab with a 18" ruler and the firewall for sizing:

Then I got started on the Elevators. 3/8"sq. balsa for the leading edge and hinge blocks. 1/8"x1/4" balsa "ribs" and a 1/8" balsa core.

Then all the balsa parts from above are sanded down to shape in prep for the 3/32" sheeting. Here's a photo of the top of the elevators ready to be sheeted. When building parts like this, I don't sheet either side until i have enough time to build and sheet the other side to prevent them from warping.

Once the elevators are done, I'll have to make up the elevator joiner / control arm wire and its mounts and hinge the elevators, then makeup the hinge gap covers. I'll then glass all this before install. I'm STILL waiting on my "processing" order from National Balsa. If it doesn't ship by 4pm tomorrow, they will be losing my money. 11 days of "processing" on a simple wood order is not acceptable IMO with ZERO communication from them as for the delay.