RCU Forums - View Single Post - C/L scale handle
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C/L scale handle

I have been flying with electronic controls for over 20 years now and it's amazing how many twists and turns this has taken over the years. I wrote a book on electronic controls and a PDF copy is available on this web site which also happens to be a cool scale web site for CL. I wasn't abe to get Clancy's system in the book but it is very similar to the other systems in the book. Some of the chapters are oblsolete, but some of the chapters are still current.

The book also shows how I set up my flying lines. Look on this web page listed below about 1/2 way down on the right side.

http://www.eicnetwork.com/eic/Scale.html

There are many opinions on if the control box should be on the handle or on the belt. both answers are correct and work just fine. Me personally I like having the transmitter or servo drive on my belt that way I can have one unit that flies more than one airplane. Also note that I have a dedicated set of lines for each airplane. I like to keep the handle light as possible.

I will be experimenting with a 2.4 Ghz set up this summer. I recently found the Tactic brand 2.4 Ghz "Anylink" system that converted my older JR radios with DSC controls to 2.4 Ghz. I currently fly with a servo driver setup (custom electronics brand) or the JR DSC radio units, both go down the lines.

The AMA will be voting on the 2.4 Ghz rule proposal this year. There are two proposals, one for general that will allow 2.4Ghz in all CL events and if that fails then there is Grant Hiestands proposal to allow 2.4 Ghz for CL scale only.

By the Bill Young passed away last year, sad to see if go. I have fond memories working with him when he developed his line of CL scale handles in southern california. Bill Young approached Grant and myself and we tested several units before he went into production with the units.

Land softly,
Fred Cronenwett