RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Somethin Extra idea??
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sig Somethin Extra idea??

I've built a few SSE's and have 2 here at home. They are too heavy when built as-is. First, toss out the ply used for servos and just use some hardwood to anchor them down. It's a good idea to make a front hatch in the nose for fuel tank access. From what I've seen in the past, Sig ships heavy tanks and you can save a few oz with Sullivans. The Dubro featherlite wheels save a lot of weight and a small electric foam wheel is good for the tailwheel. Use a mini servo for throttle linkage.

The SSE is an excellent model with impeccable flying characteristics. I've used them for first time trainers without buddy boxes. Adding tip plates to the wings increases handling and low speed stall characteristics. My first SSE had enlarged rudder and elevators with counter balances. It was given to me when the builder was tired of repairing it. It has taken a beating in at least 8 crashes and is still a great beater airplane. I made the mod of cutting down the top rounded portions of the formers from firewall to turtledeck to be flat with a flat sheet of balsa. I use a wood screw in the front to keep the hatch tied down. I can get to anything easily this way.