RCU Forums - View Single Post - I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!

If it helps any, the medicinal castor oil works fine for model airplane fuel. It is the same as the stuff you buy for engines, except less likely to be unsanitary. But it is important to get the 100% pure castor oil that has no additives, coloring or sugar in it.

Denatured alcohol works, but there is usually not enough methanol in it to keep the combustion running with the engine. Now some brands that have more methanol in them would work.  Yes methanol is a dangerous poison and denatured alcohol should not be ingested for reasons already mentioned.

You could use a cold glow plug and fabricate a connection setup so you can leave the glow plug lit all the time by the glow plug ignitor battery. You can use one of those single sub C nicad glow starters to good effect here too. Keeping the glow plug lit up by the ignitor would solve the problem.
One could also use one of those on board glow plug ignitor units as they vary the current to the glow plug to help prevent burnouts too.