RCU Forums - View Single Post - Homelite 25cc step hull new engine vid
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 AM
CTSmithey
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Homelite 25cc step hull new engine vid

ORIGINAL: dadkins

That really does handle nice - The one weakness of air rudder boats is that high speed power slide coming around into the wind- they have a tendency to do JUST what yours did. The ride balance looks about perfect on your setup. I have experimented with spoilers in the past with mixed results - But I just had an idea (insert lightbulb) What if.. You had two wings/fins - one on each front corner - shaped just like manta ray fins - when viewed from the front appear as a curved slice and when the boat is cocked sideways burning a enormously fast power slide it would be a wing providing downforce on that front corner - wait a minute... I just looked at a picture of a manta ray and theyre not shaped like they were in my mind. Maybe picture a reverse winglet on a jet.
Whoa - Ramblin...
Anyways Kudos on the build !
We tried that one the boat my father and I built, it did work but getting them set rite had little problems, maybe we just did not spend enough time with trying to adjust them. When we went into a power slide if it was windy or not, the front nose would dig in and flip the stern rite around, it was cool looking and it did work for keeping the nose in to not allow the boat to flip over, but even with no wind trying to do high speed turns it was digging the nose to hard. It is a good idea maybe if they were on some sort of a servo where you could adjust the pitch while in motion instead of having to bring it in, adjust send it out, bring it in and so on and so forth. We are playing with an idea of a spoiler that is linked to the throttle, then you get at 1/2 throttle the spoiler starts to lift at about 15~20% and from there it gradually increases with the throttle to max, at max tho it was a bit to much so now at max it goes to about 85% of throw instead of max. That worked really well in helping get the nose up for high speed strait runs, the good part is you can hit the switch on the back of the radio for if you are doing circuit runs in corners shut that servo off.

Next project is going to work more with dynamics like extra wings ect for total gripping power on the water so it will stick hard. Want to make is small and super fast, going to probably do the strakes as well so it will handle like riding on rails. Unless ol'Jet there gives me his boat lol