Thread: Engine noise
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Engine noise

ORIGINAL: vmeek

I have a very strange problem with a Spectrum receiver and a fuji 64 EI.
I seem to be getting noise when I start and run the engine.
I have isolated the throttle servo with 4in of nyrod the EI module is mounted on the engine block I have about 6.5 in. between the throttle servo and EI unit.
I have swapped out the EI with the same results.
I have the EI battery close to the receiver
Will moving the battery and and switch away from the receiver help?
None of my other planes have done this.
Also I have swapped out the receivers.
All the old 12" stuff coming from the early days of gas engines is pretty much not valid with 2.4GHz radios and things like the throttle servo and ignition battery being 12" away didn't even apply to a clean 72MHz setup. Throttle control rod isolation is still practiced but not much of anything else.

That said; the primary cause of ignition noise issues with 2.4GHz radios is loose ignition sparks, there isn't a radio system out there that can put up with 20,000 or so loose volts getting discharged in close proximity. That can come from say a system that requires a resistor sparkplug that the user has replaced with a non-resistor sparkplug. Loose connection between the sparkplug wire/cap and the sparkplug. Cracked ceramic on the sparkplug can also produce issues.

If you've already tried a different ignition module one would suspect that a loose connection between the cap and plug is probably not the issue, check for the others I noted.