RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba 8FGS vs DX8 Programming
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Futaba 8FGS vs DX8 Programming

Now that Ihave one of each, Iam finding the Spektrum much easier to program than the Futaba. The menu is easier to navigate, though the thumb roller can be a bit touchy. The touchpad on the Futaba is much more difficult to use than the thumb roller and the menu layout is haphazard. Ineed to setup dual rates and expo and havent found it yet. As an example Isetup my Deweyville with the Futaba to start with, and setting up the throttle was a pain. Ithen decided to use the Futaba RX in my Kadet instead so put a Spektrum RX in the Dewey and was able to setup the throttle in just a few minutes.

The manual for the Spektrum is simpler to follow too, it walks you through each menu, the Futaba is more like hunt and peck and if you dont know what you are looking for, you can spend hours trying to figure it out. For example I needed to figure out the flap settings on the DX8, found it and had them setup in minutes. For my T-34 it has 2 aileron servos and one flap servo. There is a wing setup that matches exactly, then I went in and set the flap switch and done. I am still trying to figure out the menu on the Futaba. Iam selling my DX6i so I transferred my planes to the DX8 already which took me more time to power up the planes than it did to bind and setup the radio.

Idid figure out the throttle cut easy enough on the Futaba, and got the throttle setup on the Kadet once I figured out the menu settings. However, too many steps involved and have to try to remember them each time.

Now the flipside, the RX install for the Futaba is simpler, no satellite to mount, no little antennas to fool with. Itake a couple left over pushrod tubes and cut about 1 inch pieces and set them at 90* apart and just stick the antenna in them. The Spektrum though Ineed to find clear open areas, not one, but two of them 90* apart. If I want to use Futaba servos I hve to clip the tabs off, though Inoticed the 3004 servors are beveled, so only the tab needs to come off.

The final test will come when Ifly with each one though, comfort wise and accessibility to the switches will decide on which radio will be my main radio.