RCU Forums - View Single Post - what caused the turbine jet crash??!!!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: what caused the turbine jet crash??!!!!!

I see two possibilities.

1. What Andy described with only one flap coming down. Could have been servo came unplugged, linkage broke, or servo failed. If it was a case of only one flap coming down, it was the left flap that failed.

2. Simple stall. You were going very slow and making a tight high bank turn, and then deployed flap in the turn. After the stall instinct is to hold full up elevator trying to save it so the stall would carried all of the way to the ground.

Do you have some down elevator mixed with the flap? It appeared that the plane pitched down just before it rolled over as in maybe only one flap went down and the down trim kicked in.
This seems the most likely of the 2 possibilities to me.

Granted you had very little time to react, But you need to always have in the back of your mind the what if scenarios. In a case like this, you flipped a switch and something bad happened, put the switch back where it was.
If it was a stall, the only way to save it is with down elevator to get speed up and then pull out. Again you did not have much time, but sometimes it only takes a couple of MPH more (only a few feet of dive) to get the wing flying again. It is hard to make the brain dive when you are already headed down.

Usually when making a slow turn you need more rudder and less aileron to keep the wing more level so it can make some lift.

This is something that I always practice at high altitude to see what the stall characteristics and recovery of a plane are in different attitudes.