RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch Designed/Built Sailplane
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM
  #57  
Nodd
 
Nodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratch Designed/Built Sailplane

I had a great session today, got a lot done. Best of all I'm not all grumpy like I was yesterday.

The warp in my ruddervator is better but I'm still not happy with it. Will give it another go with the damp sponge trick & see where that takes me...



So anyway, I'm not letting that issue slow me down. Time to make a V out of my tail...

I needed to add a 55° bevel to each of my tail-feathers. I spent some time scratching my head, thinking up all sorts of crazy jigs & whatnot. In the end I decided to just get on with it & adjusted the table on my belt sander to 55° & went for it...



With very little fine tuning from the block sander, amazingly she went together at exactly 110°, SWEET!..



Again with the head scratching, I needed a way to attach the v-tail to my CF tail-boom. Actually that's the easy part, I'm just going to fiberglass it around the tail-boom. The tricky part was finding a way to make sure the tail lines up straight. So here's what I came up with... I temporarily tacked a short section of scrap CF tube to the v-tail making sure it ran down the joint precisely. I then epoxied two small strips of plywood either side to just the tail, not the CF...



While that set I carved a few short slots in the very end of the tail-boom. The thinking here is that'll give the glue something to index & hopefully keep the tail from working loose & spinning on the shaft. I also roughed up the CF with some course sandpaper...



Next I mounted the wing center section to the fuselage & used a bunch of clamps to hold the wing perfectly level with my work bench...



Yet another use for the amazing Quick Grip clamp, love those things. Once I had the airframe squared up I removed the temporary CF tube from the tail then went ahead & epoxied the v-tail to the tail-boom. I used a ruler to check it was square with the bench, propped it up with a glue bottle & I'm leaving this puppy to set overnight...



Tomorrow I'll reinforce the tail joint with fiberglass. Feels great to finally get the tail on there. Another major milestone achieved, YIPPY!