View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 05:17 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help with My First Purchase

ORIGINAL: CPTOZZY

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I flew Futaba for many years but switched to JR/Spektrum when 2.4Ghz first became available. I have not had any reason to doubt that JR/Spektrum is any less reliable than any of the other major players, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, etc.

Why did you switch from Futaba? Was Spektrum the first to offer the 2.4 Ghz?
[/quote]

My last Furaba radio was a 9CAP. While it was an advancement over my 8AUPS, the 9th channel was only an On/Off switch and required the more expensive PCM receiver to get that 9th channel. JR came out with it's XP9303. It ha 9 Proportional channels, with either PPM or PCM, Flaps on a switch, Flight Modes, and it was also Modular, like the 9CAP. I could use a Synthesized 72 Mhz RF Module and even a Synthesized PCM Rx. When Spektrum came out with it's 2.4 Module, I had. 2.4 on 9 channels, with my XP9303, but only 8 channels with my 9CAP. The XP9303 was hands down a much better transmitter. I still have and use two XP9303's for the past 5 years. Never a problem with Flat Foamies to Turbine Jets. Many of my fellow club members have JR and Spektrum radios. I just bought a DX8 with Telemetry.

Futaba eventually came out with 2.4 radios that were priced the same with equal performance, but most of us had too much invested in JR/Spektrum. We fly everything with the same radios.

You can go with any radio manufacturer and be happy. With 2.4, except for some Chinese Clones, the Rx's are Proprietary, so you can only use a JR/Spektrum Tx with a JR/Spektrum Rx, for exampl. The sane is true for the other brands.