RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hobbico Starter
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbico Starter

Hello JohnBuckner. For the most part I don't even use an electric starter. I only bought the one I have so I could start my new Super Tigre 40 I put on my scratch built Sweet Stik. My buddy and I ordered two ST 40s from Tower for $75 each. There is a really good review of these engines on this site and that was what convinced us to buy a pair of engines. Well guess what. Neither engine could be started by hand. So to start my $75 bargain I had to buy a $30+ starter. Now that my engine is broke in it will start by hand (sometimes). Nothing makes me nash my teeth like watching a youtube video and some guy cranking away on an engine with an electric starterfor 20-30 seconds because its either poorly tuned or he didn't have the sense to prime it beforehand.

All my other engines will start in just a couple of flips. If my new starter works on 12 volts I may just leave it at that. I like not having a huge flight box and all the extra weight to carry. I am a minimalist kind of guy. And my St engine now starts with just a tiny bump of the starter. Its so quick to start you almost don't realize you even spun it with the starter.

But if I keep toting the starter to the flying field I will upgrade to a self contained starter and battery. Taking the battery out of the mower isn't hard and it fits right in a small ice chest I have so its easy to carry. But its way more battery than I need for this starter.

I have no idea what a 4 button 7 amp peak charger is. Can you post a photo or a link? And by the way you have a really nice starter collection.