RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Kit
Thread: First Kit
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Kit

JH313,

Congratulations for deciding on start building models. Based on my own personal experience, I can tell you that you will find from all of us builders in RCU that there is no one correct answer to what model be the first time built. Many builders will recommend you to build your first warbird after four or five other kits, progressing into complexity and building techniques. Each model type (trainers, aerobatics, sports, scale, pattern, etc.) has some unique building techniques/tasks and at the same time there are some common building techniques to all models that you have to learn. In other words, it can take from a few months up to a few years before you really start building your first warbird. It depends a lot on your craftsmanship skills, patience, commitment, and learning.

Also, there is a cost associated with tools and substitution of materials of construction. If you are bit by the BB (Building Bug), you will always want your next model built better than the previous one. That's when you start materials substitution for improving the quality of construction of your model, thus impacting the quality of flight in most cases. For example, building as light as possible being one of my goals, I do not use steel rods anymore; I use carbon fiber rods instead. That's an added cost.

I would recommend you to start downloading various kit manuals so you can browse and study what it takes to build a kit. Comparing one model with another you will find complexity of steps and building techniques. Then, you have RCU building threads for reference and knowledge base.

I will let others guide you with kit manufacturers and model recommendations.

Edited for adding link:

This thread is an example of what I said at the begining: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11107905/tm.htm]going to try instead of ARF[/link]