RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Focke Wulf Fw-190 D9 Build
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Spitfire222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Focke Wulf Fw-190 D9 Build

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share with you and document my build of a Top-Flite Focke Wulf Fw-190 D9. I purchased this kit way back in 2006, and started building it in 2009. Unfortunately, grad school and other events took priority, and I had to put my RC hobby on hold, including this build. After graduating, finding a job, and moving halfway across the country, I am finally settled in to my new place (which has a 2nd bedroom that I converted to my workshop/hangar), and ready to continue and finish this plane. I'm already having the pleasure of remembering how much I enjoyed building kits!

As I mentioned, when I started building it, I got as far as completing the top half of the fuselage. Luckily, the airframe survived the move without a scratch, and I was able to pick up right where I left off. I hope to be able to not only share my progress, but also get some help and advice from everyone here, especially those who have build one of these before.

Now, since I have been inactive in the hobby for some time now, I feel like I'm not up-to-date with whats going on. For example, I am still using 72 MHz, though I hope to upgrade to 2.4 soon. Also, I've noticed there are new engines out there, as well as the continuing evolution and improvement in battery technology. I hope you guys wont mind me asking for your help/advice to get me up to speed.

On that note, here are some plans for this kit:
Radio: Unknown, see below.
Servos: Most likely Hitec digitals, since I already have them.
Engine: Unknown.
Retracts: Yes, Spring-Air 74 deg Focke-Wulf retracts (with William Bros narrow-profile wheels)
Flaps: Yes.
Finish: Fiberglass.
Mods: Internal elevator horn, sliding canopy, more-scale tailwheel, exhaust, cowl, and gun hood. (I also purchased the cockpit kit when I bought the plane).

This will be my first warbird, first fiberglassed plane, first retractable-gear plane, and first flap-equipped plane. A tall order, but I'm confident I have the building and flying skills for this one. By the time the plane is ready to fly, I should have gotten plenty of opportunity to knock the rust off of my thumbs.

Ok, I need your help/advice for the following!
Radio: I'm eager to upgrade to 2.4, but am unsure what new radio to buy. I'm torn between a Hitec Aurora 9 (especially since I've exclusively used Hitec equipment until now). However, I've always had an eye on JR radios, and the XG8 really caught my eye. However, they don't seem to be available in the US? Can anyone provide more information about this radio? Should I just go for the Aurora 9?

Engine: I'm seriously considering an OS .75AX, or an FS-110. The .75AX would be cheaper, and fit in the cowl and more in line with my budget. I do have an older FS-91 though, how would that work? For the record, I know that I need to try and keep the weight as low as possible!

Finally, photos! I'll start off with photos from when I started the build back in 2009. Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24052.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1771812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67992.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1771813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51555.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	68.1 KB