RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Focke Wulf Fw-190 D9 Build
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Spitfire222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Focke Wulf Fw-190 D9 Build

Thanks for the info! I'll have to take another look at Spektrum too. I will be sure to take my time to read up about proper 2.4 setup. Luckily, I already use 6.0 V, so that's not a change. I'm also considering using Li-Po's or Li-Fe's for the onboard power though.

I should mention that I did some searches on the XG8, and couldn't find much. What I did find seems to indicate that the radio is not available in the US (yet?), and I see it's either not available on JR's website, and it's pre-order only at HorizonHobby. Anyone know if it will be available in the US, and when?

Here are the latest photos now that I've re-started work on the plane.

1. First thing was to start up where I left off! Turned the fuse upside down and added the bottom-half-formers/structure.
2. Finally shaped/sanded the fin LE. I had also hacked some holes in the rear sheeting for my elevator linkage mods, but I went with a different idea, so I re-sheeted those holes.
3. Couldn't resist putting on the canopy and gun hood. The ABS gun hood is awful, as is the cowl. I'm considering scratch-building the gun hood, and definitely either getting an aftermarket cowl, or laying up my own.
4. View of the elevator linkage. At first, I wasn't going to use the supplied joiner wire, and scratch build my own elevator connecter. But looking at it now (with 3 more years engineering experience! haha), I scrapped my original idea, and simply JB-Welded an anodized Al control horn on the joiner wire. Much simpler, and probably stronger than my original idea!
5. Just a shot of the Spring Air retracts. They seem great so far, can't wait to see them in action. (The plans indicate to place the air tank in the fuse, but I'm pretty sure it will fit in the wing somewhere).
6. I deviated from the manual and built up most of the rudder off of the plane first, which allowed me to drill out lightening holes. I think it could stand to have some more drilled out too. I will still tack glue it to the fin for final shaping per the original instructions.

That's it for now! I've currently started adding the bottom-half stringers, and I'm working on the custom exhaust and tailwheel. [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23306.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1771830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25663.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1771831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78902.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	78.1 KB