RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to handle the guys with flawed plans?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to handle the guys with flawed plans?

I've been teaching for 10 or 11 years as a club instructor. I replaced a guy in the club that taught for 30 years. I have a few planes I recommend (electric and glow), they take their pick. I teach to a program that covers basic flying, basic aerodynamics, basic aerobatics, emergency handling, maintenance, and repairing.

Some show up with a toy motor glider and want to be taught. I will give my honest assessment of his chances based on my years of observation and experience. I'll at least maiden it and trim it for him but most of the time all I can do is stand next to him for moral support. Passing the transmitter back and forth usually doesnt work that well. When those guys see how smooth things go on a buddy box, attitudes usually change. But you always have someone that wants to go it alone and teach themselves. Thats fine, but you cant do it at our field. Many years back a guy shows up, joins ama and the club, and says he can fly. Turns out he couldnt, lost it in the parking lot and damaged a car. Cost him a fair amount of money since he lied about being able to fly to the ama. He was actually going to teach himself.

I will teach on any trainer as long as it can buddy box to the standard radios. If someone insists on flying something I dont think is safe, I will refuse. It has to pass my pre-flight. If they refuse to listen to my instructions while they are flying, I wont teach them any more. I dont loose any sleep over it, he can go somewhere else. And not all people can be trained. I taught one guy for a year, hundreds of flights. His eye hand coordination and depth perception just wasnt there. I told him I would stay with him as long as he wanted, but he realized after a year, it just wasnt going to happen and quite. I've had a couple early retirees that happened to. Yes, it can be frustrating when half that start actually solo. Then out of that, half again actually stay with it beyond two years. Every now and then, you get someone that takes to building and learning with the passion I remember when I was younger. Warms your soul to see that.

I teach because I had to learn by myself, very long time and expensive. Nobody in the club I was in was interested in teaching. I ran into someone later I had not met before at the field and he helped. Two flights with him made all the difference to me. So I make sure when others want to learn, someone will be there to teach them.
Edwin