RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to handle the guys with flawed plans?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 AM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to handle the guys with flawed plans?

While I personally dont think that a club or even an instructor is necessary for everyone...everyone sure could benefit from either, or both.

I say this because I started in this hobby (first time) about 15 years ago.  Went to the hobby store and bought a high wing .40 size nitro trainer with everything needed to fly in support equipment.  The guy at the store kept telling me that I shouldnt try to learn to fly by myself...even gave me a number to a local club to get help to learn to fly.  I told him I would just to shut him up...the whole time thinking..."how hard can it be...its just up/down/left/right...go slower/faster.  I left that store about 450-500 dollars poorer, and with confidence that this was something I could do on my own without help.

That plane lived exactly 2 flights (still not sure how I maidened it and landed...it wasnt pretty).  The 2nd flight it re-kitted itself and I pretty much gave up right there, out of embarrassment alone!

Over the years I had a few RC cars/trucks but nothing really of "hobby grade" and I just get bored with land vehicles pretty quick.  Or at least tired of having to repair them/tweak them all the time.  So I never really took to RC, but always wished I had of listened to the guy at the hobby store on that airplane, because as far back as I can remember I had always wanted to fly RC planes and helis.

So...3 years ago I decided to try it again.  This time I sought out a club and joined it.  While our club doesnt really have an official "instructor" I was still able to be buddy boxed 2 or 3 times before I solo'd.  Really, the buddy boxing didnt do a whole lot for me because I had already been playing around on a SIM for a few weeks and had also bought one of those Phoenix Firebird pusher prop v tail airplanes and learned to fly in a field by my house by myself.  I wanted to at least know somewhat of what I was doing before I went to the club field.

What really helped me more than anything was just going to the club and watching all of the veteran pilots.  Asking a lot of questions regarding the things that I didnt understand and just took in everything I could.  I probably went to the field at least 3 or 4, maybe 5 times before I ever flew the first plane!  But, I learned something every trip made...and I continued to add to my knowledge by reading forums like RCU here online.  I still learn something new almost daily...I dont think the learning ever stops in this hobby.

So...while instructors and clubs arent necessary for all...it will definitely be a benefit to be part of one.  That is if you feel you fit in with the others in said club.  If the club I joined was full of a bunch of  buttholes, then I wouldnt have stuck around to learn what I learned, and be enjoying this great hobby today...flying anything from a small micro J3 Cub to a 65cc gas Yak54, not to mention a myriad of CP helicopters.  All in less than 3 years time.  If only I had listened to the guy at the hobby store, I would be 15 years into the hobby and my skills would be wayyyyyyyyy more advanced than they are now.  But, cant turn back time...just enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

At the end of the day, if you are flying safely and having fun during the process...AND not crashing every model you buy, you are doing something right.