View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Word of Warning about Hard Drives

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: 757jonp

If you want to hack into my hard drive for my account information have at it. I think I left 27 cents in one of them, yur welcome to it if you can find it.

Millions of people do their taxes on line. Or, they use software to do their taxes. On those forms there is a lot of important information. But, when the time comes, they dump the old computer and move n to a new one.

Because of the nature of my job I handle data that can be confidential, classified, or secret, so I run no risks. always worked with blunt force on my HDDs once they were upgraded. In 2 cases along the years, I had a HDD failure, and the units were under warranty. To use the warranty you have to return the defective unit. Something I could no do. Oh well, it happens.

I was told that the software that gives good results is one that writes 1 and 0 all over the HDD deletes, re-writes, etc. But it takes over one day to run. My hammer is much quicker...

Gerry
PS: Yes, the hammer thing is addictive too....
makes you feel like this guy.

I have to get me one of those Thor hammers! I use a garden-variety carpenter hammer... I need something bigger... Well, maybe not. I am using a lot the 1Tb external drives. Memory has gotten cheaper and cheaper, I love it!

Gerry