RCU Forums - View Single Post - Substuting Methanol for Denatured Alcohol
Old 08-04-2012, 03:05 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Substuting Methanol for Denatured Alcohol

ORIGINAL: Walcher361

I have denatured alcohol, two stroke weed eater oil, 95 octane, and acetone, how much oz or ml do I mix with each one? I'm not good with calculating haha and I don't get the percentages so if I could just get the filling amount that would be great. Thank you
Glow engines do not run on gasoline. Glow fuel for an RC car consists of Methanol, Oil (Klotz synthetic or Castor or a blend of the two), and nitromethane. In your case, you would use SLX kleanstrip denatured alcohol, a little acetone, and oil. Weed eater oil WILL NOT WORK. It does not mix with alcohol!

I would use 12% oil, 2% acetone, and 86% denatured alcohol. Turn your percentage into a decimal, so 12% would be .12. 2% would be .02. To make a gallon, multiply your percentage (.12 for example) by 128 (fluid ounces in a gallon). This give you the number of ounces of oil. Do the same for the acetone and alcohol. Together, the three numbers you get should add up to 128.

12% (.12) x 128 = 15.36oz oil
2% (.02) x 128 = 2.56oz acetone
86% (.86) x 128 = 110.08oz denatured alcohol

15.36 + 2.56 + 110.08 = 128.

The head shim is a gasket between the cylinder head (the big colored finned heatsink on the very top of the engine. Remove the 4 or 5 screws that hold it on, and on the bottom of the head (bottom of where the glow plug screws in) there should be a copper or aluminum gasket you remove. Put the cylinder head back on, and tighten the screws in a criss-cross pattern.

I use McCoy glow plugs in my cars and airplane engines. MC59 is a hot plug, and I believe the MC55 plugs are hotter. Google McCoy MC59 or MC55 and you'll find online stores that sell them if you dont have a hobby shop nearby. Otherwise you can use 4-stroke glow plugs like the OS F and McCoy MC4C. These are longer reach hot plugs but may require an extra glow plug washer so the piston doesnt hit the bottom of the plug.

What car and engine do you have?