RCU Forums - View Single Post - Substuting Methanol for Denatured Alcohol
Old 08-04-2012, 10:43 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Substuting Methanol for Denatured Alcohol

ORIGINAL: Walcher361

Alright that makes a whole lot of sense haha thanks a bunch dude, and what brand of oil would be best you think? And could I use dirt bike oil or is that to thick?
You need oil that will mix with methanol. If you have a small plastic dixie cup or something, put a little denatured alcohol in the cup and add some of your oil to it and stir it up with a popsicle stick or something disposable. If it is miscible (will mix into) with methanol, it will mix in right away. If it isnt, it will look like you put oil in water. Most 2-stroke oils for gasoline engines will not mix with methanol. Klotz makes oils for snowmobiles, dirt bikes, weed wackers, etc. They have 2 kinds of oil that will mix with gasoline and methanol. Klotz techniplate and super techniplate. I believe the super techniplate is a blend of castor oil and synthetic oil. This is the oil I would recommend you use. It costs about $40 a gallon plus shipping. One gallon will make a LOT of fuel - probably 8-9 gallons depending on how accurately you measure it.

Keep in mind, this makeshift homebrew fuel I've outlined for you will cause your engine to lose 20-40% of its capable power due to not having nitromethane in the fuel. The engine should run on it, but it is not going to perform as well. The acetone does not replace the qualities of nitromethane in terms of adding power and making the needle have a broad "sweet spot". It will require some trial and error getting it tuned just right.