RCU Forums - View Single Post - Max Fuel Tank Size?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Max Fuel Tank Size?

ORIGINAL: Homer712

Thanks for the input guys. I guess in this age of the ARF, sometimes it's hard (if not impossible) to control the fuel tank size/shape. I have a couple of Hanger 9 ARF planes. A Toledo Special, fuel tank on that one is only 11 oz. and I have a Saito 62 on it, so I'm safe there. The other one, a Pulse 60 XT comes with a ''shaped'' 17 oz. fuel tank that fits like a glove into a ''egg shaped'' space under the front hatch. There's nothing available from any of the fuel tank folks that will fit that space. Possibly, all I should do is open the tank up and shorten the fuel intake line. Or maby better yet, do nothing. There's a lot of these Pulse 60 XTs out there and I may be the only one in search of an issue to solve. It's the engineer in me. Just can't leave well enough alone.
Shortening the fuel pickup line is probably going to complicate things needlessly, IMO. If it were me, I'd run the engine on the tank that fits the air frame. Check the engine's needling with the fuel level low - if the engine runs too lean at the bottom of the tank or doesn't needle well, install a pump or regulator. Though I dont know how well a regulator would work on a 4-stroke since a handful of them dont use muffler pressure at all. Keep in mind, I'm not a pilot... But I do consider myself an engine nut and have done many experiments with fuel tank sizes, tank placement, and using a pump. I have ran a 16oz fuel tank on a .29 2-stroke with the tank centerline being 1/2" above the spraybar with satisfactory results, but the tank was right behind the engine.