RCU Forums - View Single Post - Everything you want to know about electric flight
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC FLIGHT

ORIGINAL: RAYGIB

I need help! I've converted my Hangar 9 35% Extra 230 to electric power. The motor is believed to be a Hacker A150, which is rated at 8000 watts, 44.4v and 200 amps. I have a 200 amp Turnigy Monster ESC and 4 Turnigy 5000 mah 6S LiPos in a series parallel conbination delivering the 44.4+ volts and somewhat over 200 amps (measured with a 200 amp ammeter with a 75mv shunt). It flew once for under a minute before the power died and dead sticked in. However, power was there to taxi back. Holding the plane down for testing, with the ammeter in series between the batteries and ESC, the set up will pull just over 200 amps at full power, but only for 20 or 30 seconds before it shuts down uncommanded. The motor gets quite warm in that short time. Even when started from ambient temperatures sometimes the motor will drop off line at only 70 amps when the power is coming up. The voltage from the 4 LiPos never drops below 42 volts, even under full power, so low voltage would appear to not be the problem, although anythings possible. If the power is brought up very slowly, full power may be attained, but it usually doesn't last more than 30 seconds. Anyone any ideas on how to fix this short of putting the DA 100 back in?
Believed to be a Hacker A150? You don't know? Which model of the A150? And if you don't know what it is where are you getting the specs from?

Do the math. 8000 watts at 44 volts is 181 amps. You are overloading the motor with 200+ amps. 200 amps at 44V is 8800 watts, which is 10 % over the motor's rating. Assuming this is a Hacker A 150, it is rated to 9000 watts/204 ampsfor 15 seconds ONLY. And the recomended ESC for that motor is a 220 amp ESC.

Hacker motor specs:
http://www.hacker-motor-shop.com/e-v...&t=3&c=35&p=35
Depending on model the motor can handle 150 or 188 amps.
Recommended prop is 27X12. What prop are you using?

You say you are pulling over 200 amps on a 200 amp ESC. You are overloading the ESC!

And you wonder why the system is shutting down? If it did not shut down it would catch fire.

I would bet there is a good chance you have damaged the ESC. Whether you have damged the motor I can not say but this is not a good combination of components.

You could prop down to reduce amp draw. that might resolve your problem. You don't say what prop you are using.