RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need a reason to keep my Laser Cutter
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Need a reason to keep my Laser Cutter

OK. Someone asked about Delta Cad and airfoils.

FIRST - you do not need to draw an entire plan to cut the parts you need. Perhaps you already have plans for a plane but just want to cut out the ribs or fuselage formers. In other words, a short kit. Much easier than drawing a complex plan of an entire airplane with all of the notations, measurements and other detail.

You can easily use the tools in Delta Cad to trace airfoils, ribs and such from existing plans. But if you want to design your own wings and airfoils then the easiest way is by using software specifically designed for this task and then export to Delta Cad. Profili is one example as is Winfoil. Both contain databases of common airfoils and will draw individual ribs with spars, leading edges and trailing edges as you desire. You the can export these files to Delta Cad and use in your drawing.

However this is pretty advanced stuff. How about if we start simple and just start by copying an existing plan from a magazine or something you already have. Better yet just draw yourself a short kit of some ribs and fuselage formers and then we can cut them out and you can see how it works. The best thing about doing it this way is that you can print the parts on your printer before you send them to me.

Remember I'm just a beginner too and although I know a little bit about this stuff, I'm not really all that much ahead of you. Let's keep it simple so we can all follow along.