RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch Designed/Built Sailplane Fuselage
Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Nodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratch Designed/Built Sailplane Fuselage

Stubborn Bugger
I've not weighed the brackets but they're nothing I'm worried about, especially once I've "Swiss-cheesed" them. I'm getting lots of suggestions to just use fiberglass & I do intend to FG the heck out of the joint but I want something else in there too.

Fiberglass is good stuff no doubt but from experience I know it also has its limitations. For example look at what happened to my fiberglass four meter sailplane after a moderately bumpy landing...

Fiberglass is rigid & cracks, metal is substantially inflexible but when it does move it just bends. I think a combo of both will be perfect for this application.

I know you folks already know this stuff but I'd like to explain my thinking here:
This all comes down to leverage. Archimedes famously said, "If you give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, I can move the world." While I have no Earth moving aspirations, my understanding is because I have just 1/4" of pylon to work with here Vs a normal fuselage with its wide wing mounting area, there's going to be a lot more force on this joint than usual...

I did a little math & was astonished to learn...

So with that in mind, yeah I'm going to stick some steal in there along with some fiber-glassing.

So here's a rough diagram of what I'm building...

Anyway not sure exactly when I'll get to this. Situated directly in the path of hurricane Sandy I'm expecting some "interesting" weather over the next few days. At the very least I expect I'll lose power for a while, will have to see how I feel about working in the dark *grin*. Anyway see you all later this week I hope. Stay safe.