RCU Forums - View Single Post - Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine
Old 11-10-2012, 02:46 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I know this oil discussion is off the subject slightly, but I thought I'd note that indeed more castor makes a big mess.. But there is no doubt the engine is well lubricated. I run 20% castor in most of my engines (including an Enya 4-stroke even), and 25% castor in my bushed K&B's, and my lapped Enya SS30bb. It makes a mess, but thats part of running glow. I run a little castor in my weed wacker and ice auger (with a touch of nitro too) and it isnt any messier than normal gas + 2-stroke oil. With the oil mix predominantly synthetic, there is very little carbon and no ring sticking. It smells good too.

Normal castor wont mix with gasoline unless you add the castor to some methanol (or other co-solvent) and add it to gasoline. Klotz Benol will mix with gasoline though and it has additives (supposedly) to prevent carbon build up and ring sticking). I've never used the stuff myself though.

With the technology being utilized on this little Norvel glow engine to run on gasoline, I wonder if this type of technology could be used on larger gas 2-strokes (converted chainsaw and weedwacker engines for example) to be able to run on a glow plug (who makes adapters for glow plugs these days that don't cost a fortune?) and thus remove the flywheel and magneto/coil to reduce weight and not using any glow fuel in the mix like Gas/Glow guys use.

Speaking of which (see above), whose glow plug is in the NV .40 gasser? Do they have their own, or are we back to using Enya's special glow plug, which will not fit our 1/4''x32 threaded engines? Sorry if I missed this info before.

Ed Cregger

Yes, you did miss the information!

Apparently it's a special glowplug and isn't in a standard 1/4" x 32 package. It is bottom sealing according to the original poster. He hasn't said exactly what form it comes in.

The Norvel has a head button not a conventional head anyway. Some simple close up pictures of the engine including the plug would have been nice to see.

It's not that it's some new secret version of the iphone after all.