RCU Forums - View Single Post - Soldering
Thread: Soldering
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:46 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Soldering

ORIGINAL: Walfam
I just retird from the aerospace industry and I was certify for training trainers and trainess to MIL-Std-2000. The Aerospace Military industry does not use ROHS due to tin whiskering by the ROHS solder. Tin Whiskering is like roots growing out the solder alone a pc board. This will sooner or later hit another trace and cause shorting.

A good active flux and 60-40 solder will do the trick.
Pinched from elsewhere by some bloke at Castle that should know:
"We do use lead free solder on all of our controllers now. I set my Weller WES51 to 850F+ (past the 850 mark so not sure what that is). It will help if you actually place the soldering iron on the wire, and then add some solder to the wire/soldering iron. This will help liquefy the lead free solder, and make soldering it to the Deans connector much easier. Hope this helps."

I agree, lead free wouldn't be my first choice for something over the long haul or in a harsh environment but it helps to recognise it when you come across it. Ever replaced your mates roll of solder with tinned copper wire and watched him crank up the temperature trying to get it to melt?