RCU Forums - View Single Post - 150% enlarged WingontheWeb HO-229
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: 150% enlarged WingontheWeb HO-229

First parts out of the mold:

While they look good, the layup schedule needs a bit of refinement.

Canopy frame:
Over-all I am happy with the frame. It is a bit more flexible than I want and its pretty thin. I can fix both by a 2nd layer of carbon cloth and a 3rd of fiberglass, but at the expense of more weight.. If the canopy is made functional/removable a G-10 frame will enhance the strength of it immensely! Soo... I'll actually do a combination of things. Once, i'll reduce the amount of carbon I used by putting overlapping "strips" where just the frame is, so I eliminate much of the waste where the carbon will be removed due to the clear canopy. This overlapping of fabrics will add some thickness in the corners and more strength where it is needed, and either a Glass/balsa laminate or G-10 frame will be made up (probably glass and balsa.. again to save weight).

Main Gear Doors:
The upper-strut doors are perfect. roughly 1/8" thick and plenty strong! The wheel door covers are not though. Once i started doing the layup on the main doors I realized I should of done the foam or balsa sandwhich on them as well. the doors are stiff currently (due to the CF) but have no strength what so ever.. So since the doors are ready for a secondary bonding (due to the peel-ply), I'll cut the strut doors loose, trim the wheel door covers to shape and then PVA the gear door mold and place the door covers back into the mold while the PVA is wet. As the wet pva dries, it will effectively attach the door parts back to the mold. Then i'll go ahead and laminate the foam door material. This should strengthen the doors plenty, as long as I can heat up the foam to get it to conform to the curve of the door edges.