RCU Forums - View Single Post - Copywrites, Patents, Rights???
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Copywrites, Patents, Rights???

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I just don't think anyone should copy another persons research, developement and work to sell for their own personal gain without award or royalty to the original designer.

If a person copied another person's research, developement and work for his own personal use would be of the highest flattery of the original designer. But NOT to make a business for profit or personal gain from another person's hard work.

I am sure that when the original plans were published in any magazine, they were not published to be copied for a profitable interprise, but for individuals to spend the time scratch building a plane for their own personal use.

Frank

Just designing something and not protecting it legally, exposes the design to theft. Lets assume the originator has copyrights or patents granted for a design, product or idea, for argument's sake....

Infringement requires proof in a court of law. That means that the originator would have to be certain of what the thief did and take him to court.Then prove to the judge's satisfaction (facts) that infringement took place.The judge would be compelled to fine the infringer some form of penalty consistent with the amount of business that took place. In commercial product enterprises, the amount of business is sometimes large enough to enable such law suit and justifies the costs.

In modeldom, you are on your own. Business is so small, legal costs would eat you alive and for what? Just to prove a point? Nonsense

One of the most blatant recent infringes in modeldom was the redesign and commercial effort of the Hyde Rubber Isolation Mount for IC engines. The guy simply stole the concept of the rubber isolator idea and made his own commercial mounts that sold, what, 100 units? Hyde knew enough not to pursue a law suit for infringement, Not because he would have lost; he would not have!! but because there wasn't enough stolen business to matter. Had he pursued a law suit, he would have lost where it mattered most, his wallet.

The total business in rubber isolation mounts has not been insignificant BTW. Over the past 25 years some 30,000 units were sold at an average price of 130$. It's a chunk of change. And now the protection period has run out so anyone can produce them for profit.....But people still buy the Hyde, although I don't, and actually have never owned one; I've always made my own