RCU Forums - View Single Post - Turbocharged nitro engines
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 06:52 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turbocharged nitro engines

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Only way I see it being able to be done is if there was some sort of fuel injector that had an air sensor that would increase the fuel mixture when the airflow increases as it spins up and pushes more air in to keep the tune proper.
The ones available for RC's I see as either bogging the engine out if you try and tune for the high end, or if you tune it so it idles, and run will lean out and damage the engine at the high end.
But that is just my thoughts on the principals of it as done with unmodified engines. Now if you somehow modify the ports or something then maybe it could be done

A carb is just like a airbrush...increase the airflow thru it and it will increase the volume of fuel is sprays.....a special injector is not needed here, the carb on its own works quite fine for handling "boost "....... If we double the volume of air passing thru the carb is will spray out double the volume of fuel it normally would............ this is fact of how a carb works........

there is nothing on the market that is a real boost adder...

in my shop I will setup a plenum box that will encase the entire carb..it will simulate running the engine is a very dense atmosphere.....

And no the engine does not need major modifications for boost to work.............. timing profiles maybe can be tweaked to maximize effectiveness....but not needed at all

In the end all 2 strokes can be boosted......... the trick is actually making a way to produce boost......... I can easily make a setup in my shop using my air compressor a plenum and a pressure regulator..... But that only shows proof of concept.....that indeed a small engine like this can be boosted.........The power of the engine will increase proportionately to the increase of the pressure in the plenum..........