RCU Forums - View Single Post - Back in the hobby. I want a good BL Truggy.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Back in the hobby. I want a good BL Truggy.

Buying new will put you over $800 easily.. Kit, converstion kit, motor/ESC, receiver at least - if not also a radio, steering servo, tires (most kits have no tires), etc.. Before batteries and charger. Add $300 for that.

If you want a race truggy you have to be prepared to spend big. Period.. To be in the mix for serious organized racing, if buying new you'll need $1500 all up, pretty easily..

Mugen kit, for ex.. (Hell, take a HB D8T, won't make much difference in the big picture...)
Hobbico CS-170 servo, for ex..
Hobbywing Motor/ESC
Two sets of rims/tires
conversion kit
receiver and/or radio with "
2-3 sets of batteries
charger
misc. little stuff for the car
misc. little stuff for the electronics

Yes you can do it cheap with a used kit etc.., but you have to know what you're doing. Buying used is a crapshoot even if you do know what you're doing.

Just ran my first ever lipo pack through my MT4 G3 today. Awesome RC.. Will never be the best racer, but yeah...., screw racing... And even when I do want to run on a track, truggy tires on, and there you go - it is a truggy after all...

Whatever the case, don't kid yourself for one second: whether nitro or electric, organized 8th scale racing is MASSIVELY expensive. Especially truggy, given tire prices..., to name just one thing...