RCU Forums - View Single Post - Katana 50 by Hangar 9
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Katana 50 by Hangar 9

Think I'll pass on the SFGs. I fly more IMAC style.

I need something "small" to bring when my grandson goes with me, because I cannot cram another model in my ride alongside my big Extra without risking damage to both. Its either two smaller planes or one big one.

I know this Katana is a purpose-built 3F airplane, but I suspect it will fly precision stuff just fine. And its a very pretty model; it caught my eye in the hobby shop, and when I looked through the box I was sold. One of the most professional packing jobs I've seen, to go along with the uber-quality of the pieces/parts. Even the hardware is top-shelf- no Phillips head "bolts" here (at least, I haven't run across any yet).

So far, the only thing I've seen I'd like to change is the tail wheel assembly. I've got a small Ohio Products Haigh unit, but the reports indicate that the model is inherently tail heavy so I'll go with stock for now.

Of course, I went over every joint I could reach with medium CA. They're still using that stuff that looks like hot glue. I've been told that it is actually some sort of resin epoxy; but the CA adds little weight and is cheap insurance, IMO.

The front end needed more fuel-proofing as well. Good old MinWax polyurethane to the rescue.

I must say that I am more and more impressed with some of these Hangar 9 offerings. I got a Saratoga "kit" the day after I bought this one, and it is equally impressive. I guess they discontinued it because of slow sales... but I've done a couple of Seagull models, and while they are okay, the H9 examples I am familiar with are definitely a cut above... quality AND price-wise.

Personally, I'll pay the extra price for the better quality model.