RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric, glow, gasser. Just choose one
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric, glow, gasser. Just choose one

I use all 3, gas, glow, electric and prefer the glow by far. Maybe becasue have used glow for 25 years plus but I find setting up a glow plane just a lot easier. Once you have one set up properly they are simple to use. The con to glow is of course the clean up, but I use that task to do airframe and engine maintenace as well. All sysytems require maintenance. Gas is cleaner but I find set up with elelectrinic ignition, extra batteries and switches, smelly fuel, mixing oil, a pain. Gas biggest con is Vibration, constant checking for loose bolts, mufflers, etc. It does get better as ways are found to keep things tight but after 3 or 4 flights you better do a thorough check that everything is still in order. Electric is good but you have constant battery charging and replacement. So many types of balance charging boards, chargers, battery leads etc. Staying with one brand of battery and esc helps but a lot to learn about battery care and charging and safety, and still seem to replace most batteries every 2 to 3 years if used much. Glow I can land, refuel, and fly again in just a few minutes, takes as long to switch batteries and much longer to recharge. They all have good and bad points, all are fun, and all have their place. Would not want to be limited to just one but if I had to be I would choose glow.