Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Motor question for RC glider

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: sylvie369

Respectfully:

That's not quite correct. A -0 engine (D12-0, B6-0, etc.)does not contain an ejection charge. This is confirmed by the manufacturer here:

http://www.estesrockets.com/media//c...12_Catalog.pdf

(go to page 56, where you will read ''Booster engines contain no delay or ejection charge'').

An ejection charge in a booster would blow the upper stage clear without lighting the upper stage motor. Instead, as Charlie correctly said, ''it just burns through''.

Booster motors often act as though they had ejection charges, though, as ''burns through'' does produce pressure in that direction, often enough to open a parachute despite the lack of ejection charge. That may be the source of your confusion.
Respectfully I don't think you want to use booster motors in a rocket glider unless the glider has been built or in some manner prepared for the burn through

OK, I got a ME-163 Kometas my next project.

As some may know its a rocket powered glider, but Mine will be 60in wing around 7 pounds with a 140mph prop speed electic motor set up.

As the back of this plane is shaped and desided or so for a rocket motor, I want to use the Estate D12-0 motors.

I know the motor will not help in the thrust department but I want the smoke/sound effect while takeing off.

So my questions.

1. All I need to do is add epoxe to cap the motor for any blow throw.

2. to Be safe I will make a wall infront of the motor with allumum to keep any heat from going to my lipos. Is this ok? I will put a vent hole in the rear as its needed to cool off the electronics anyway.

3. Whats the best way to ignited this set up in the bird?

Thanks Mike