View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Lost and Found

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler
We'll need to hear about your C/L Combat Tales. [8D]
Here's another "serendipitous" tale about RC SNAFUing.
I was pretty new to RC and way too eager to fly everyday. I had a 6 foot span Olympic 650 with a Cox TD on a power pod mount and was flying at a school yard in the middle of town.
It was extremely windy for this area and I let the plane drift too far down range. It didn't have enough altitude to make it home and it went down OOS in the direction of a populated area. All I could do was collapse the antenna and curse my stupidity all the way home. By the time I got home I had a phone message to come back into town to pick up my plane. The home owner turned out to be a construction worker from a different trade than mine who I had bumped into a few times over the years on large projects down in Seattle. We knew each other from sight, but had never talked much before.
As it turns out, his wife was doing the dishes and looking out the window when she saw the glider fly through power lines. The lines seperated the rubberbanded wing from the fuselage...but the javelin like fuselage kept coming at her. She froze and stood there as it struck the wooden mullion that divided the panes of glass at her sink's window. It didn't crack the glass, but it dented the wooden mullion.
IIRC, I gave them some beer to help forget that the whole thing had ever happened.....[8D]