View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New HPI 1/8 Gassers

ORIGINAL: cumquat

ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: cumquat

in the 3rd to last pic, do i see gear teeth on the fly wheel?
I'm seeing them too. I'm thinking: Onboard electric start?
and who else is getting a blister from just looking at that pull start?
If you get a blister from your pull start you're doing it wrong. It should start in five to ten pulls, if it doesn't, diagnose it. Don't just keep ripping on it like an idiot.
i had the same idea about the electric start. also had a passing thought of it possibly being there for a future alternator add-on. if that is in fact the flywheel (cant really see a distinction between the flywheel and clutch bell), it could be a 2-in-one starter motor/generator.
Starter/gen would be too noisy with straight cut gears like that. Maybe the teeth are a hall effect sensor or something strange?

i got the blister from my first nitro. it was a used duratrax axis with a brand new picco .21 that i put in it. i had never started a nitro before and i wasnt too sure how to tune or setup a carb yet.
That's rookie tuning mistakes. I had engines that didn't want to fire back then too. Nowadays mine start so easy it boggles my mind that people even come close to getting blisters.
with this thing, it's not so much how many times you have to hank the cord but how hard. i imagine this thing will have some compression to it.
Do you get blisters from starting 5HP push mowers? 50cc chainsaws? 35cc weed whackers? No? Then you won't here, either. Gas engines are notoriously easy to start, and they're gonna be pretty soft as well. 8:1 or 9:1 comp at most, glow engines hover around the 12:1 or 13:1 area.

So no. You won't get blisters yanking away on this gas engine.
as for the engine displacement change, i think they decided that 8cc was too weak for this behemoth.
That's my thought. Smallblock for the small cars, big block for the big cars. Used to be the case with 0.12-0.15 and 0.21-up glow engines back in the day, before the smallblocks got so insane that they'll throw 1/8s around like ragdolls.

or they ran into a problem with such a small gasoline engine being temperamental or troublesome in some aspect and the easiest fix was making it bigger.
Possible, but you'd think they wouldn't be displaying the smaller engined cars if that were the case. Also, it's HPI, they do know a thing or two about engines. They've had a couple of real humdingers over the years, hell who doesn't, but they make a decent mill 99% of the time. They'll figure it out.