RCU Forums - View Single Post - Problem with UAT tank. how to correctly set up fuel system
Old 02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
rcand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problem with UAT tank. how to correctly set up fuel system

ORIGINAL: marc s

I friend of mine had your type bubble trap in an airplane that constantly would flame out due to air.
I would be interested to understand why this happened, as in essence the method of what my CAT product does and the BVM UAT are very similar so why one works and the other does not is somewhat baffling!

The CAT which is a product designed to help prevent air entering the fuel feed to the turbine (via the pump) has been successfully used for the last 12 months on the NASA/Boeing joint project - X48C. The units were tested to the limits before they were approved for use in a multi-million $ project and I am certain they would have not used them if there was a chance they were no good!

Whilst there is always a chance products do not work for all there are some real important things that must be done to ensure any fuel related products stand a good chance of delivering 100% reliability -

USE QUALITY CORRECT BORE TUBING
SECURITY WIRE ALL FITTINGS - DO NOT USE CABLE TIES (as the name implies they are for use with cable not fuel line)
AVOID EXTRA FILTERS IN LINE, VALVES OR RESTRICTIONS (these will restrict fuel flow and that's not a good thing)
MOUNT CORRECTLY (as per manufacturers spec)
USE CORRECT FITTINGS TO SEAL PIPES AND FITTINGS

I personally make and test EVERY CAT to 30-40psi, which is more than the pressure in most car tyres so unless the unit has been damaged there is NO way it will leak air, if air is getting into it then its coming from a connection elsewhere on the fuel system (or via cavitation)

If you wish to check some of the test data on a range of UAT products including the CAT have a look at this very in depth article about 'all things' related to setting up a reliable full system..

[link]http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/fuel-system-for-jets-considerations[/link]

marcs

I can't explain why but after several months of flameouts on almost every flight, the problem stopped after changing it. All cars are made to start, run and get you somewhere. Some manufacturers cars are less reliable and need repairs more often. Some you can drive and do routine maintenance and never have a significant breakdown, You can try your luck on a chevy, or go for a Lexus. I'll take the Lexus.