RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Canard Takes flight
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM
glowhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another Canard Takes flight

why, just use electric batteries for weight. Moving the wing ruins the scale look of the plane. Finally the CG is forward of the wing, seeing that the trailing edge of the wing is at the firewall your only going to move it forward. The other option is extending the nose. The trick in balancing this aircraft is making everything aft of the cg light as possible. The nose landing gear can only handle so much weight and previous attempts to construct a canard shows that the built in spring really will unspring around 3 lbs. The build I have now, the upper nose at f3-f5 are cut and a floor is installed for the batteries. A hatch of necessary weight will be constructed. The nose gear firewall has been upgraded to 1/4" ply wood. Servos, hs82mg will be installed externally below the fore wing for simplified controls (plus I can move the split elevator with the ailerons for lower speed maneuvering). The original Shinden was a foam wing, balsa with fiberglass covering. I used balsa ribs sheeted with 1/16" balsa and covered with monokote. The wing (without ailerons or vertical stabs) is about 3 lbs. Retracts were also omitted to save weight. Always count on adding weight to the nose, I'm just counting on adding less than called for.

Im counting on the Rim fire .46 to power this plane to reduce weight, it weighs less than the nitro motor proposed.