RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM P47 Build
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ESM P47 Build

Over the weekend, I got bogged down in creating semi-realistic looking machine guns. It took more research than I anticipated to get close to the correct flash suppressor tubing diameter, the location, and the length of each tube. Also in question was whether the guns are parallel to the ground, or if they follow the wing leading edge. It's the former. Also, you'd be surprised how rare STRAIGHT-ON views of the P47's machine guns are on the web. Any pic taken at an angle throws off all attempts to properly scale the photo. There are 3-views online, but most of them are jpg files, and when you zoom in enough to see the guns, the image pixels bleed into mush. Anyway, it's done, so here's a few pics of the finished guns. The little tubes inside the outer tube are carbon fiber. The outer tubes are .327 dia ancient phenolic pushrod tubes from a bygone era. But they were close to the right size. I installed the little inside tubes by making bushings on a lathe. I super-glued the bushing to the inner tube, and then slid the bush/tube combo into the outer tube and set the depth.

Oh, and one other little detail. The engine RAN FOR THE FIRST TIME! Here's a Youtube video. http://youtu.be/KHjTiipQUgg

The plane's complete specs are listed under the video, but the static thrust with that amazing G38 with EI ignition (flywheel just for balance) is 17.3lbs. Almost 1:1, not quite. The P47 weighs 18.4 lbs.

Here's some pics of the machine guns. The smoke stains are real. Almost lit the plane on fire. Then, the smoke is "set" in place with flat clear polyurethane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83617.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1856325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53591.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1856326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24320.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	101.1 KB