RCU Forums - View Single Post - BJCraft Episode
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BJCraft Episode

ORIGINAL: VerneK

Hi Paul,
Your battery tray is intriguing as I am considering a removeable tray on my current project. It appears that you have two servo screws in the front that prevents the tray from sliding forward and out of the slots it sits in. Is that pretty much it? Have you used this arrangement before?

Thanks!

Verne Koester

ORIGINAL: pippy

Hi ram, I am using the neu f3a motor as supplied by F3Aunlimited. It is very powerful and pulls the episode around with ease using 10.15 gears and 22x20 rear ,22x18 front. My set up is with a Hyde mount so the 3 screws are screwed from behind a normal firewall into blind nuts installed in the front of the mount. It means my contra plus mount plus motor and even my speed controller can be pulled out thru the front of the model just by opening 3 screws ( see picture of drive with Hyde mount and also of firewall and rear mount. I never have to remove the rear mount for any reason. I can then put them straight into my nuance in about 3/5 minutes.

I went with the recommended set up for elevator and rudder servos except the rudder servo is installed in a small tray I made up so it is vertical in the rear rather than stuck to the side of the fuz.

Please feel free to ask anything else.
Verne....the pix show how I did my Nuance and I also did a Prolog for the Snowman.
I find that the aluminum arrow shafts are strong enough and are much more available and a lot cheaper than c/f tube.
Also the o/d of the arrow shaft is consistant....unlike c/f tube.
The 1/4" end grain balsa might have been over kill....next time I'll use 3/16" or perhaps 1/8" if I feel brave.
The setup as shown is not removeable but has proved to be plenty strong...there are about 500 Masters flights combined on both airplanes without any sign of structural problems.

Best...DH
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28139.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1858747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98523.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1858748