RCU Forums - View Single Post - 150% enlarged WingontheWeb HO-229
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 05:00 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: 150% enlarged WingontheWeb HO-229

Unfortunately i didn't get everything done in time to get outside and get some good photo's, but that will come tomorrow..

I epoxied in place the canopy frame stiffeners. These will also act as supports for the false cockpit floor, when i get around to doing that.

Then a few hours later, I had the fan unit and tail-pipes installed, battery mount plate installed, gear valve and all hooked back up and it repositioned and remounted. The new gear valve mount setup doubles as a battery mount plate and allows the 2nd set of lipo's to lay down more so they aren't visible in flight anymore.

As you can see in some of the photo's above, there is not a whole lot of room available for a cockpit. The cockpit will consist of a glare shield (to help cover the forward lipo's) and a false floor and pilot figure. IF I can find a 1/5 scale Luftwaffe pilot bust.

I also did some test runs of the power system, but didn't get any thrust measurements. One fan unit draws 96amps at full power and produces 4136watts of power. That makes up almost 8300watts of power, which is FOUR times higher than what it originally flew with. Needless to say, its performance should improve. Once I got done playing around with the tests and data logging, I hooked up both fan units and powered them up. I then did an ole mk.1 elbow thrust test. Needless to say, i'm pretty sure that it produces the same thrust as the last power setup at about 1/3 throttle. I am very excited to fly this thing!

Taxi tests were also performed. The 136oz/in servo originally in place for steering proved to not be strong enough with the new nose gear unit. So, the JR 8711 i had laying around was put in place for steering. Torque is now acceptable, but the Heavy Duty JR servo arm was actually bending when it was sitting still and trying to turn the nose gear. So now I get to upgrade the servo arm to a metal unit.. unfortunately I don't have any laying around and neither does the LHS. This isn't to big of a deal, as the snow is still around so its unlikely we will get to fly it tomorrow anyways.