RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Plane And RC Helicopter Collide Mid-Air
Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Plane And RC Helicopter Collide Mid-Air

quote:

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I think the comments about the helicopter being wrong are completely ignorant and ridiculous. I truthfully don't like being around helicopters, and I don't like them hovering over the landing strip. However they are flying models just like our planes, and have to abide by club rules. All of the clubs I've belonged to have heli-flying members, and all have had general guidelines for where to fly. These typically include a 'racetrack' for sport flying and an area across the runway for 3D and helicopter flying. 

If you are going to do a low pass over the runway, you need to call it out. If there are other people flying, you need to listen for approval. Just because you say it doesn't mean it's heard.Communication takes two people, not one.

I was pretty much thinking the same thing. Just because you say something doesn't mean that it was heard or that its smart to do  

How about we blame the airplane pilot, he was the one hauling ass through the sky and slammed into what was a nearly fixed object 

But honestly I truly believe 99% of the time there's no one to blame In a midair. Sometimes bad things just happen. 

No one is to blame. It's just lessons that are learned. You can minimize your chance of a mid air collision with good communicatio, spotter, and first and foremost trying to be aware of more then just your aircraft. In the end the person that's really keeping a eye out for your plane is you !

+1

Just another day at the field. 

The heli pilot, if he was holding an inverted hover, is focused on his bird. The warbirds flier flying right-to-left has a greater field of view and should have seen the heli in time. The monetary loss could be equal for both pilots. No one to blame, stuff happens.