RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2003, 08:59 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Landing Gear Doors

Here is a pic of my #167 Corsair, shown with the gear up. As you can see, the gear doors have enough room to clear the sides of the retract bay. Purists may consider this to be very unscale looking, but in flight this is difficult to notice and the gear doors do great job of covering up the retract units ( which would otherewise be very noticable).
You might also notice a little modification to the retract bay: instead of sheeting ahead of the spar (as per plans), I added a rounded piece of balsa on each side of the bay, attaching them to the spar, and then painted to match. From previous experience, I have learned that gear up landings are better than gear down landings under certain conditions (like dead stick, and especially if you can't make it to the runway). I have also learned that these gear up landings can be made which result in NO DAMAGE to plane or landing gear, especially if precautions are made in advance. One of the precauctions is the delete the sheeting ahead of the spar and replace it with the rounded wood as shown in the pic. This provides a smooth step for the wing to land on. The other precaution is allowing the gear door to go up into the retract bay a little, and thus lessoning the chance for it to become damaged.
Using these methods, gear up landings usually only result in a few scaratches on the finish (MonoKote in this case).
When RCUniverse gets its act together and returns my "gallery" to me (which I paid for), you can see pics of these gear doors in the wheels DOWN configuration, and I think they look very scale and hope you agree.

NEXT TIME: put a more scale curvature on the front of your fuselage AND improve engine cooling (for projects under construction or not yet started).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87850.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	62465