RCU Forums - View Single Post - RDS8000 Transmitter gimbal wire failure?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RDS8000 Transmitter gimbal wire failure?

I'm hoping that an Airtronics service person will say something here. That's not me. But when I first heard about this potential problem, I called Airtronics and the rep told me that the failures were due to insufficient slack in the wire. So every time you moved the stick to an extreme there would be a pull on the wire, eventually leading to a failure. If there was sufficient slack in the wires, there would be no problem.

So you wouldn't need to re-inspect every year or every six months or anything like that. Just inspect once to see if any wires go tight at the extremes of stick movement. Of course, it doesn't hurt to take a look around from time to time, like when you are replacing the battery.

Any brand radio can have a manufacturing problem. All it takes is a new employee on the job not getting things quite right before somebody else notices his mistake. Training and quality assurance are ongoing efforts in any manufacturing facility. The important thing is that when a company discovers that they might have a problem they need to communicate it to their customers and recommend a remedy. I think Airtronics did that, but not at the level of a safety recall as is done in the auto industry. There's just not enough money in model airplane equipment to make that possible.

I try to follow this site just to be aware of any issues that may have come up with equipment like mine. That's my own personal safety program.

Dick